It has been 6 weeks since Oliver was born, and there are a few things that I wish I hadn't purchased before he got here. Some things we bought too many of and other things can wait until baby teaches you what he or she likes. Here are a few suggestions that I wish I had known before baby boy was born.
*see the comments for advice on babies born in the winter
2. Pack 'n Play Sheets: Oliver sleeps in a Pack 'n Play by our bed at night for the moment. I bought 2 sheets for his Pack 'n Play and I don't use them anymore. The mattress for the bed is waterproof and easy to clean. Adding a sheet on top didn't make any sense. It is so much easier just to wipe down the mattress every morning than constantly change and wash the sheets.
*see comments on a great use of the pack n' play sheets posted by a reader!
3. Baby Backpack Carrier: Moms seem to loves Ergo and other Baby Backpack Carriers these days, but I still haven't gotten into using ours. I like a wrap or a sling better for an infant. The Backpacks are probably more useful when baby gets older and can hold his head up. If you want to use one, don't feel like you need it right away for your infant. That could be a later purchase.
4. Bottle Steam Sterilizer: This would be more useful for formula feeders, but since I breastfeed Oliver he only uses a bottle when I pump. He might take a bottle twice a week, and it is easier to just wash them myself.
5. Wipes Warmer: Oliver does just fine with room temperature wipes since it is summer time. I might use this in the winter. I would suggest waiting to buy one after you assess whether your baby fuses with cold wipes or not.
6. White Onesies: I bought SO many white onsies for Oliver and hardly ever use them. We got so many cute outfits for people that it seems a waste to put him in a plain white onsie. If people give them to you, great, but I wouldn't buy any yourself.
7. Infant SwaddleMe Wrap: I would wait to find out if your little one likes being swaddled before buying special sleep swaddles. When they are in the hospital, they are swaddled in the hospital blankets so you don't need one right away even if your baby does love swaddling. I put Oliver in his SwaddleMe Velcro Wrap once and that was the end of that. He pulled his arms out and kept crying until I freed his legs. I would wait until you find out your babies preference before purchasing special swaddles.
*See comments for the debate surrounding the swaddlers and make a decision that is best for your child and situation
Do you disagree with anything on this list? What should be added?