With school less than a month away, here are the things that every teacher should have in stock before the kids start sliding, tripping, and kicking down the hallways:
1. Expo Markers- I buy them in every color I can find! I don't want my writing on the board to get jumbled, and when drawing diagrams you need tons of colors.
2. Mints- I always keep mints in my room. No kids want me talking at them with bad breath! I also use them as incentives for games or to get students talking when needed.
3. Desk File Organizer- An organizer this size is perfect to carry files home when needed. It keeps things cute and organized, but it can be easily picked up and carted around. I keep parent's contact sheets, work to be graded, and my lesson plans in here. I got mine from Target.
4. Lysol Wipes- I clean my room like no one's business before school starts, but I know it will be dirty by 4th period on day 1! I try to stay stocked up in wipes to keep things clean and sanitary... does that count as a second job on my tax returns?
5. Jean Jacket- If you don't have a jean jacket and work in a semi-professional setting, you need one! Teaching allows for some casual pieces as long as you look put together. A jean jacket turns any dress into appropriate attire (length issues excluded). It makes slacks and a tank top presentable and that cute Maxi dress an easy morning go to.
6. Egg Timer- Perfect for keeping class on track and keeping my mouth from running away from me. If you don't want to buy one, you can find them online as well.
7. Sticky Notes- Any teacher can tell you that these are a staple. Notes home, reminders, encouragement, hall passes, and silent behavior reminders can all be done on sticky notes. I think I have enough sticky notes to last me a few years without having to buy any!
8. Labels- No, you don't need that many, but I do recommend finding some kind of sticky labels when stocking up for school. I put one in each corner of the desks and have the students write their names and class period on them once seats are assigned. This helps me remember names quicker. I also used them to cover up the names on my old file folders from the year before and recycle them.
Happy School Year!
You May Also Like:
I am 25 years old with a 2 year old son and a wicked handsome husband living in Birmingham, Alabama.