I have a small rant that I need to get off my chest. I don't want to make ranting a regular thing on my blog, but this one I feel many can relate to!
I have been in a battle with the Kingstree DMV for about 2 months now trying to move my license and tags over to South Carolina. Everytime that I go up there they tell me that I am missing a piece of paperwork.
The last time I tried to get a new license I brought my passport, pay stubs with my social and address on them, birth certificate, old drivers license, and an internet bill will my name and address on it for proof of residency. APPARENTLY internet bills are not a valid address verification- only water, gas, sewer, cable, or power are valid...
Today I went up there again- this time with thousands of peices of paper for them- and low and behold I still have no new license. I stood in line, filled out all of the paper work, stood in line again, and was then told that there was a pending suspension on my old license.
Back track a bit. In November I got into an accident on my way home for Thanksgiving break. I was rear-ended while sitting still behind a turning car and the girl was going 50 miles an hour. She wasn't even paying attention and never slowed down. She admitted to the cop that it was her fault and the accident report stated that it wasn't my fault.
Here is what I didn't know. The cop was suppose to give me a FR10 form for me to fill out as verification that I had insurance. I had given him my insurance and he put that information on the accident report. When i talked to my insurance after the accident they said that if he didn't give me the form then I wasn't responsible for filling it out. WRONG INFORMATION. This is a South Carolina rule that i was unaware of. Because I never filled out that form they suspended my license. They sent me a letter to my grandmother's old address because alabama didn't properly update my changed address form (is it so hard to ask for a tad bit of competency?!) so I never knew about the suspension.
The DMV won't give me a new license till i show proof
that I had insurance at the time of the accident. Here is what really frustrated
me... The lady pulled up the accident report, and on the report it has my
insurance information that was current at the time of the accident!! I also told
her i could show her online statements that show I had insurance. She informed
me that the DMV does not except any electronic evidence... because this isn't
the 21st century and we do EVERYTHING on paper these days.
So here is what I learned to pass on so far:
1. If you have an accident in South Carolina- whether it was your fault or not- ask for an FR10 form and take it to your insurance provider.
2. The DMV won't take a copy of your social or birth certificate... even if you cry...
3. Bring any bill but your internet bill to show proof of residency.
4. Change your address with the post office AND with the DMV when you move.
4. The good thing about the Kingstree DMV is the lines are very reasonable. If I had tried to go to a big city to do this I would have waited much longer.
5. If you remove the part of your pay stub that says your employers name they will not except it as proof of residency or your social security number.
6. DON'T WAIT TO DO THIS WHEN SCHOOL HAS STARTED FOR ALL YOU TEACHERS! DO IT AS SOON AS YOU GET HERE OR WAIT TILL NEXT SUMMER.
You May Also like:
I am 25 years old with a 2 year old son and a wicked handsome husband living in Birmingham, Alabama.