There are so many things out there telling you how much water you should drink. I have heard the whole "8 glasses a day" or "take your body weight in half and drink that many ounces". Those work, but let's be honest, who remembers how many glasses of water they drank that day, or took the time to measure out their ounces before they drank them!
I have tried so many ways to drink enough water. From marking each glass I drank on my hand with a marker, to drinking a water bottle/ college class of the day, but nothing has worked as well as the Gallon Challenge from Live Strong.
A few years ago, Live Strong started pushing for people to drink a gallon of water a day. You can see an article on their page here about the benefits of doing this. A gallon is WAY more water than you body requires, but the more water you drink the more your body can flush out the bad that we put in it. Drinking a gallon of water a day WILL make you pee a ton more... don't worry... you probably aren't pregnant!
Here is how I monitored my progress:
1. Grab a gallon bottle from the store- they cost about $1-2
2. Label your bottle with time markers throughout the day- I started from 10am (I don't like water in the morning) and ended with 5pm (I don't want to wet the bed!).
3. Make sure your water level is below the line for that time limit. If you are falling behind, start chugging!
4. At night, wash out your bottle and set it to dry- reusing bottles without washing them can cause bacteria to grow.
5. Refill it the next day and start drinking!
Hint: If you are one of those abnormal people who doesn't like the taste of plain water, MiO makes drops that you can add to your water to change the flavor. Most of these include vitamins and they have really interesting flavors! They claim to have no sugar and added calories, and the few blog reviews I have read seem to support this claim.
The benefits of water have been linked with weight loss, healthy skin, good bowl movements (my favorite reason :) and disease prevention. If you are not currently on a plan to help you drink more water, take the Gallon Challenge with me!!
You May Also Like:
I am 25 years old with a 2 year old son and a wicked handsome husband living in Birmingham, Alabama.